How does the NightOwl® Home Sleep Test work?
One of only 2 fully disposable, medical grade sleep devices in the world, the unique technology sensor measures a range of information while taped to your finger, including body movement, heart rate, and the amount of oxygen in your blood.
This information is analysed by a sleep physician and estimates metrics such as your Apnea Hypopnea Index (AHI), your Rapid-Eye Movement (REM) and Non-Rapid-Eye Movement (Non-REM) sleep, your oxygen saturation, total sleep time and much more.
The device is a class IIA medical device and is clinically validated, read the paper here.
How many nights is a home sleep test?
3 nights of sleep data helps provide a most accurate result. Normally that means that you do the test for 3 nights, but in a small number of cases, you may need to repeat a night if the device cannot collect the data needed or we have enough data with 2 nights. If this is the case the app will instruct you on what to do.
What do I get with the NightOwl® Sleep Test?
The NightOwl® home sleep test includes:
• A disposable NightOwl sensor and 10 finger wraps
• An activation code to access the NightOwl companion app
• A detailed sleep report manually reviewed by a sleep physician and, if you suffer from severe sleep apnea, a telephone Sleep Coach consult to discuss your results
• Access to SiSU Health's 12-week Sleep Better online health program
• The ability to store your sleep and other health results in the SiSU Health Dashboard
Are home sleep apnea tests accurate?
The Nightowl® Home Sleep Test device is clinically validated, you can read the full paper here. It was found that it closely matched the Gold Standard of measuring sleep apnea which is polysomnography (PSG).
So in short, yes the NightOwl Home Sleep Test is accurate.
Facts about sleep apnea
• Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is common. 25% of men and 9% of women have OSA, however, after menopause women are just as likely to have OSA as men.
• Only 15% of people with moderate to severe sleep apnea are currently recognised or treated.
• People who are overweight (BMI over 25), have a large neck size (>43 cm for men, >40 cm inches for women), are over 40 years old for men, or over 50 for women, have a family history of sleep apnea, are a smoker, or have high blood pressure are at an increased risk of having sleep apnea.
• Moderate to severe OSA carries a significantly increased risk of premature death from cardiovascular disease (33% mortality at 15 years).
• People with untreated OSA are between two to five times more likely to have a motor vehicle accident than someone without OSA.
• Cigarette smoking can worsen sleep apnea in adults. Passive cigarette smoking can increase a child's sleep apnea severity by 20%.
• Treatment can significantly improve quality of life.
Source: Sleep Disorders Australia
Generally excellent, quite easy to download the app. Set up before the first test was easy albeit a bit long. The instructions videos could be condensed considerably but the results and the sleep program were great.
I was genuinely interested to see what my results would be. As I would not consider myself an 'at risk' person for sleep apnoea, it would not be a test I would go and book in for with a sleep clinic, however, as it was a simple DIY at home device I was keen to do it.
Getting the report and looking at the sleep pattern results over the night was interesting also.
Very simple and easy to follow instructions each night. I thought I had to complete three nights, however it mentioned I was done after two nights. The results give me clarity on my sleep quality and I'm working on improving it already.
We're on a mission to restore the sleep of the millions of Australians that suffer from a sleep disorder.
It's unbelievable that two-thirds of all adults in developed countries fail to reach the recommended 8 hours of sleep stipulated by The World Health Organisation.
We also know the negative impact a lack of sleep has on individuals affecting such things as mental health, diabetes, weight gain, the immune system, and cardiovascular disease. It doesn't have to be this way so we are on a mission to improve sleep hygiene and that starts with accurate testing.
Who is SiSU Health Group?
At SiSU Health our mission is simple, we help people like you, live healthier lives through objective health data and health literacy.
Our free, 4 minute medically certified SiSU Health Check and range of integrated, evidence-based programs are proven to help everyday people live healthier, happier lives. We have just surpassed 3.5 million health checks for Australians and aim to reach 6 million by 2022. By purchasing the NightOwl® Home Sleep Test you are joining us on that journey.